Licensing - Normally valid for one year, renewal application required prior to expiration date.
For more information, or a license application in one of the following areas, please call the Building Services Division at 410.638.3010.
- Pet Shop
- Grooming Business
- Kennel License
- Massage Establishment
- Personal Care Boarding Home
- Pet Shop/Grooming
- Store Close Out
- Taxicab Driver
- Taxicab Owner
- Use and Occupancy Certificates (specific to residential and commercial structures)
Home Builders Registration – Please contact the Consumer Protection Division of the Office of the Attorney General at 877-259-4525.
Maryland Home Improvement License (MHIC)- Please contact Maryland Department of Labor, License and Regulations, Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing at 410-230-6001 or http://www.dllr.state.md.us/license/.
Building Permits - Commercial or Residential (see also Fee Schedules for permit fees)
- Generally, needed to:
- Construct or alter a structure
- Place a structure
- Demolish or move a structure
- Make a change of use
- Install or alter any equipment which is regulated by the Harford County Code
- Construction must begin within 12 months of approval date.
- If work does not progress for 6 months after initial construction start-up, permit is declared invalid.
- Application can be made at the Harford County Administrative Office Building, Planning and Zoning Department, 220 South Main Street, Bel Air, Maryland (second floor). Call 410.638.3366 for more information.
Residential Building Plan Review Requirements
Residential building plan review requires the following:
Construction drawings are required to obtain a building permit for the following projects.
- Decks: the information and deck fill in the blank form provided at this website are adequate.
- Additions, renovations, and remodeling, require a foot print of the affected areas; to include where and how attached to the existing structure.
- Floor plans should contain room sizes; identify the room use and locations of windows and doors.
- Structural details shall identify all framing members along with beam, header sizes and their locations within the affected areas. This can be accomplished on the floor plan and in a cross section.
- Drawings should be to scale whenever possible. They must contain accurate dimensions.
- Site plan shall be provided showing where attached to dwelling and all set backs from property lines as well as all easements.
- New Home Plansshall include the following information:
- Footing and foundation plan
- Floor plan for all floor levels and wall locations, room sizes and window and door locations. Information identifying all structural members and locations shall be shown on the floor plan.
- Cross section identifying dwelling construction from footing design thru roof design
- Exterior elevations identifying finishes
- Site plan shall be provided showing house location on lot
- Licensed contractors applying for a building permit under 600 square feet will be required to answer questions during a counter review. It is suggested drawings be available at this time.
Manufactured Housing or Mobile home building permit - Please call 410.638.3385 for more information. (also see Fee Schedules for permit fees)
Where no work has been done under a permit issued, the holder of the permit may deliver the permit to the Department of Planning and Zoning (220 South Main Street, Bel Air, Maryland (second floor)), and upon cancellation thereof, shall be refunded 50% of the fee paid provided that application for the refund is made within 6 months of the issuance of the permit.
Please call 410.638.3103 for more information relative to building permits.