Prepare Because You Care - Citizen Emergency Preparedness Training
When it comes to emergencies and disasters, it's not a question of IF, but WHEN. The demands placed upon our first responders increase dramatically during an emergency and their ability to respond quickly can be significantly impacted. Additionally, the next emergency may cause power to be out for an extended period of time.
To better prepare our communities, Harford County has developed the Prepare Because You Care (PBYC) citizen training class. PBYC is designed to address preparedness for a wide-range of disasters and emergency situations. PBYC classes are free of charge and are offered multiple times each year at different locations around Harford County.
Each PBYC offering consists of four classes (one class per week for four consecutive weeks). Each class begins at 7 p.m. and ends at about 9 p.m.
Persons interested in registering for Prepare Because You Care must be at least 18 years old. For younger attendees who are interested in attending, a parent, close relative, or guardian will need to sign a consent form on the first day of class.
You may want to consider the following questions regarding your personal preparedness:
- Do I have an emergency supply kit?
- Do I have drinking water (one gallon per person/per day for at least three days)?
- Do I have a working radio and flashlight with fresh batteries?
- Do I have extra medications on hand and do I have extra supplies for my pets?
- Will my neighbor's with functional and special needs require assistance?
- Can my family be self-sufficient for 72 hours or longer?
- Do I have the correct type of fire extinguisher and do I know how to use it properly?
- What actions can I take to prevent crime in my community?
- Do I know the basic steps in helping to save a life?
If you have any questions about this program or are interested in signing up for the next class, please contact:
Linda Ploener, Manager, Emergency Preparedness & Planning
Office phone: 410-638-4029 or email to Learn more about what federal, state, or county legislative district I am in and the name of my legislators to open the Tourism Award Process Powerpoint.