EMS Operational Authority
The Harford County Department of Emergency Services is the EMS Operational Authority in Harford County, which includes oversight and medical direction for the Harford County Department of Emergency Services Emergency Medical Services Branch, the Harford County Volunteer Fire and EMS Association and the Harford County EMS Foundation. Per Code of Maryland Regulations 30.03.03.03, medical oversight of the county EMS system will be performed by the Harford County medical director, who in concert with the Harford County Department of Emergency Services, has the following responsibilities:
- Medical oversight of patient care, including emergency medical dispatch;
- Standard operating procedures and guidelines development;
- Review of medical calls for service insuring quality assurance;
- Training, certification and continuing education;
- Participation in future planning, evaluation, and best practices implementation; and
- Liaison to the medical community.