ADA Paratransit and Demand Response Services in Harford County
What is ADA Paratransit Services?
Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA) Paratransit Services is a shared-ride, public transportation service for people with disabilities, as required by federal law, who are functionally unable to independently use the Harford Transit LINK fixed route services.
COST: $2 each way
Who can use ADA Paratransit Service: Individuals with a mobility disability that have properly applied to and been approved for the program.
Eligibility: For the person to be ADA eligible, they must be an individual with a mobility disability who has properly applied and been approved for the service.
For the trip to be ADA eligible, both pick up location and drop off destination must be within 3/4 of a mile of a fixed route. Dispatch will make that determination when you call to make your appointment.
To determine eligibility, request an application, fill out Part A (rider OR legal guardian fills out); Part B MUST be completed by a medical professional who has determined the individual has a mobility disability. Both Part A and Part B MUST be submitted; determination is made based on both Part A and Part B.
Once eligibility is determined, the individual will receive a card with an expiration date of when you will have to reapply (typically every five years, unless eligibility is based on a temporary status). If denied service, you may file an appeal. View the appeal process here.
Hours of service: only during hours the Harford Transit LINK fixed route buses are in operation.
Trip requests can be made within 24-hours of Harford Transit business operations (Monday through Friday, 3:30 a.m. - 7:30 p.m.)
ADA Paratransit eligibility automatically qualifies the individual to receive reduced fare on fixed route service only.
An aide is permitted to ride with the ADA Paratransit eligible rider for free, as long as notification is given prior to trip. Call Dispatch at 410-612-1620 (option 1).
What is Demand Response service?
Demand Response is for anyone over the age of 60 and anyone with a qualifying disability who does not live within the ADA Paratransit service area.
COST: $2 each way
If over 60: call Dispatch and will be registered over the phone.
If under 60 with a qualifying disability: Application (Parts A and B) must be completed.
Difference between ADA Paratransit and Demand Response:
- Demand Response is a shared-ride, first-come, first-served service. Preferably, Harford Transit LINK requests that a rider schedule their trip one week prior to their requested trip in order to better guarantee service, no more than 90 days out. Rider can call if requested trip is less than one week out, but their ride will not be guaranteed.
- Demand Response service is from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Demand Response trips must be within Harford County.
- When you call, provide time you need to be at your destination and Dispatch will need to know how long you will be at your location in order to schedule your return trip.
- ADA Paratransit is provided from and to locations within 3/4 of a bus route
- ADA Paratransit is available during normal fixed route bus operating hours.
- ADA Paratransit is only for individuals with a mobility disability who have properly applied to and been approved for the program.