Plumbing registrationNormally valid for two years, renewal application is required prior to expiration date. For more information, or a license application in one of the following areas, please call 410-638-3056:
- Journey septic
- Journey utility
- Journeyman plumber/gas fitter
- Master gas fitter
- Master limited plumbers certificate
- Master plumber/gas fitter
- Master propane gas fitter
- On-Site utility license
- Septic certificate
Plumbing permitsRequired for any plumbing work performed in any building that is designed and constructed for human occupancy (refer to Fee Schedules (PDF) for permit fees). For more information contact the Plumbing Services Division at 410-638-3215.
- Application for a plumbing permit must be made by a master plumber
- A homeowner may apply for a one-time homeowner’s permit to perform plumbing work in their own home but cannot apply for a gas permit (must pass a homeowner’s test)
- Valid for 12 months from date of issue (If no inspection activity is performed within the 12 month period, permit is canceled, there is no refund of permit fee). A request for permit extension may be made here.
- No refund of fees paid
Mechanical registrationNormally valid for two years, renewal application is required prior to expiration date. For more information, or a registration application in one of the following areas, please call 410-638-3056:
- Limited mechanical
- Master restricted
- Master restricted air conditioning
- Master restricted forced air
- Master restricted heating
- Master restricted heating-hydronic
- Master restricted refrigeration
- Master restricted ventilation
- Uninsured master
Mechanical permitsRequired for installation of heating, ventilation, air conditioning or refrigeration services.
Notice: As a result of many inquiries regarding the items outlined below, effective October 13, 2010, the Department of Inspections, Licenses and Permits requires the following in connection with HVACR installations:
- Manual J will only be required for finished basements when new equipment is installed to serve that area
- No Manual N required if drawings are engineered stamped or certified by the Master HVACR contractor installing the same mechanical system
- All change out of existing HVACR equipment will require a block house load calculation at time of permit application
- Electrical permit is required when the contractor is relocating or replacing a unit that requires the resizing of electrical conductors and/or circuit breakers which also includes the disconnect replacement.
Geothermal systemsThe Department of Planning and Zoning will review all site plans associated with the installation of a geothermal system prior to the issuance of required mechanical permit. A site plan of the property depicting the size and location of the proposed system shall be required. A planning assistant will review the site plan to assure the proposed system is not located in a forest retention area, a Natural Resource District, a recorded easement, critical area or floodplain, etc.
Once the planning assistant has verified the system is acceptable, the site plan will then be stamped approved by zoning, signed and dated. A copy of this approved site plan will be filed in the zoning office and a copy will be attached to the mechanical permit. Contact the Plumbing Services Division at 410-638-3215 with any questions in reference to these requirements.
ApplicationsApplication for a mechanical permit must be made by a registered master, master restricted or limited HVACR. A Manual J or acceptable unit sizing documentation is required. Permit information:
- A homeowner may apply for a mechanical permit provided the homeowner passes a written test. The homeowner shall sign an affidavit agreeing to comply with all applicable provisions and attesting that the location in which the work will be performed is the applicant’s primary residence.
- Valid for 12 months from date of issue. If no inspection activity is performed within the 12 month period, permit is canceled. There is no refund of permit fee. A request for permit extension may be made here.
- No refund of fees paid.