Real Property Tax Credit Information

Harford County residents who qualify can apply for and receive real property tax credits. For questions, please contact 410-638-3450.

Senior Citizens and Veterans


Harford County Council Bill 17-021Bill 18-038, and Bill 22-022, will provide a 20% tax credit for a maximum of 20 years, on county property taxes for individuals who are over 65 years of age, have a dwelling with an assessed value of $600,000 or less, and who either own and have lived in the dwelling for at least 35 years or are a retiree or surviving spouse of a retiree of the United States’ Uniformed Services who has not remarried.

o learn about our upcoming business resource events

This credit is also applicable to veterans or surviving spouses of veterans of the United States' Uniformed Services who have not remarried, who have a dwelling with an assessed value of $600,000 or less and have a permanent service-connected disability that substantially limits one or more major life activities.  The new Senior Citizen and Veteran Tax Credit Rules and Regulations are currently in the process of being updated and will be forthcoming.


Harford County offers a tax credit to an owner of a structure designated as a Harford County historic landmark by the Historic Preservation Commission for the expense incurred for the restoration of the landmark and a tax credit for the added value of the restored historic landmarks. For more information and link to the tax credit application visit the Preservation Tax Credits page.


The State of Maryland provides a credit for the real property tax bill for homeowners of all ages who qualify on the basis of gross household income. This credit must be applied for annually.

2022 Application and Instructions
2021 Application and Instructions
2020 Application and Instructions
2019 Application and Instructions


Taxpayers who reside on their property that is within 1,000 feet of the Scarboro Landfill may receive a tax credit for being adversely impacted by their property’s proximity to the landfill. For information, contact Jason Boyle, 410-638-3455.

Solar/Geothermal Energy

Taxpayers can receive real property tax credits for installation of qualifying energy conservation devices on their properties. For the tax credit application and additional information, click on the link: Solar/Geothermal Energy Application.