When and how do I get my restitution?
Restitution can be ordered for loss or damage to property or for medical or funeral expenses. In a criminal case, restitution cannot be ordered for lost wages, although wages may be recovered from a civil suit.

Restitution can be ordered by the judge upon the conviction of the defendant. Depending on the amount of restitution and the ability of the defendant to make payments, restitution might be made in one payment at sentencing or be made payable through the Department of Parole and Probation and collected a little at a time for over many years. An order of restitution is filed as a civil judgment and can be executed by the victim as any other civil judgment

Show All Answers

1. What information do I need when calling or visiting the State's Attorney's Office?
2. When my property is seized, how do I get it back?
3. How do I protect myself from the defendant?
4. When and how do I get my restitution?
5. If I do not agree with the outcome of a case, in which I was the victim, what can I do about it?
6. What will happen if I do not show up for court as a witness?
7. How can I drop the charges?
8. Who can I contact with a consumer protection question?
9. How can I find out my court date?
10. How do I know which Division is handling my case?