When is a building permit/zoning certificate needed?

A building permit/zoning certificate is generally needed to: construct or alter any principal or accessory structure, demolish or move a structure, make a change of use, install or alter any equipment which is regulated by the Harford County Code. Such structures include but are not limited to swimming pools, sheds, fences and finished basements.  A building permit/zoning certificate is also required for certain home occupations, and for the storage of untagged or inoperative vehicles. 

If a property owner is authorizing someone else to apply on his/her behalf, an Owner Authorization form must be presented at the time of application.

If you are unsure if a building permit/zoning certificate is needed, call the Permits Center at 410-638-3122.

Zoning Administration Document Center

Show All Answers

1. I don't agree with a decision on a permit or interpretation of a regulation made by a County agency. Is there a way I can appeal this decision?
2. When is a building permit/zoning certificate needed?
3. How long does it take to receive an approved permit?
4. What are the fees for building permits, and when are they paid?
5. How can I check the status of my building permit/zoning certificate?
6. Who do I contact regarding building inspections?
7. What is a Site Plan?
8. Can I get a refund on a permit if I change my mind?
9. Can I have horses on my property?
10. What are the phone numbers of the agencies approving my permit?
11. What is an Impact Fee?
12. What are the zoning classifications?
13. What is the Natural Resource District and how will it affect my property?
14. Do I need approval for a public event?