Why is the restoration needed?
- The stream channel is eroding and causing sediment to be washed into the Gunpowder River
- Bank erosion has been causing tree deaths, debris jams, and channel blockages.
- The stormdrain outfalls are failing.
What will the constructed features be?
- Step-Pool Structure: reduces erosion where water is moving quickly downhill by constructing a series of small pools.
- Riffle Stabilization: diversifies flow patterns, maintains a concentrated baseflow, and provides habitat in areas with low slopes by arranging different size rocks and wood in the stream.
- Plunge Pool: stabilizes the stream bed near the outfall pipe by slowing the water with a pool.