A rain barrel is a container that captures and stores rainwater draining from your roof. Barrels usually range from 50 to 80 gallons and have a spigot for filling watering cans and a connection for a soaker hose.
Combining the use of rain barrels with appropriate plant selection and mulching promotes water conservation. Rain barrels benefit your home, garden and community.
- Save money on your water bill as well as consumption use from private wells
- Homeowners can save up to 1,300 gallons of water during the growing season
- Reduce the flow of storm runoff
- Protect rivers and streams from runoff pollution
- Control moisture levels around the foundation of your home
- Provide oxygenated, un-chlorinated water which is ideal for plants